Before I went, I made this sign for my BFF!
We usually hit up the NC coast, beaches and cities a bit inland around 2-3 times a year. She's much closer since she lives in Charlotte, but I still try to make it as much as I can even from far away Nashville!
I had a vision of this sign before I made it, and it surpassed my expectations!
Here it is:
And here's how I did it!
- 11x14 wood board from Home Depot
I got a huge board from Home Depot cut down into 6 11x14 pieces, plus a few small leftover pieced I kept for other projects! I can't remember what this board was called, but it was right by the MDF boards.
- Drilled small holes in the top to string jute (didn't take pics of this!)
- Sanded around holes to make them smooth
- Painted board White
- Clean up the mess that happens when you shake a bucket of paint that has the LID ON LOOSE!!!
- Used Silhouette machine to print out beaches/cities onto vinyl, used "weld" tool to make each word one piece- makes it easier to transfer in my opinion! You could use stencils or lots of other things too!
- Applied vinyl letters to board.
I *could* have done this reverse, painted the board black and applied the white vinyl on top, but I wanted a more finished look.
- Spray painted flat black over the top, didn't want a glossy look for this project. Home Depot carries a basic flat or glossy black for $.99!
Yeah, that *blinding*white may be some leftover paint!
- Peeled off letters with tweezers.
I thought it would benefit me to work quickly before the paint dried, but turned out that the letters at the end were actually easier to get off because I didn't smear any paint. (easily wiped up where I did smear though!)
- String jute through holes, tie knots and hang!
I originally purchased sawtooth hangers to put on the back, but changed my mind. So glad I did because I love the look of the jute, and it was much easier! I was just gonna wing it and hope the sawtooth hangers would work on the thin piece of wood!
- Debate over actually delivering this to BFF cause I am in loooooove with it, but give in when I realize I can do it all over again!
- Take lots and lots of pics of it, outside and in!
It's safe to say I WILL be doing this again!
I have plans for a bigger black and white one using vacation spots for me and the hubby (it'll go on the wall next to those black and jute apothecary jars you see above!!), and another one with these same beaches for me, but blues, tans, and shabbied up which will match our guest room! At least thats the plans I have for now!
I'll be linking up here!