Monday, October 18, 2010

Decorating for Fall with Heirloom White!

After seeing all the lovely projects the girls at Shanty2Chic have done using Rustoleum's Heirloom White Spray Paint. I just had to check it out for myself! I'm more of a bright white gal, but I thought that the softer Heirloom White would be a great touch to add to my fall decor!

I also purchased some Ralph Lauren Glaze (tinted in Smoke) from Home Depot, as the Shanty girl's suggest! (I also found that the Rustoleum spray paint is cheaper there than at Hobby Lobby- unless you have a coupon!- and Walmart)I had lots of fall decor that was ugly orange, yellow, brown and green. Well, ugly to me since I'm not a fan of traditional fall colors! They can be great in other people's houses- just not mine!

Here's some before pics of the stuff I painted with Heirloom White!



Cheapo looking plastic bowls



Silver candle sticks (don't worry- not real silver!)
Cute but not my style Autumn and Harvest signs



Candle lamp my mom gave me a few years ago


I also painted a ceramic plate that was really ugly orange and green, some beaded candle garland and some mini pumpkins that I did not take before pics of!


Here are the after pics!



Much less cheapo looking "candy" bowls filled with candy
that doesn't tempt us, but does tempt guests!
Autumn sign has some of the letters highlighted with Ralph Lauren Glaze.
(I'm still working on tweaking this space, not loving it yet.
I did have tea pots and teacups displayed here.)


 


Candle sticks and garland painted Heirloom White and brushed with glaze


Plate and candle lamp painted heirloom white, lamp brushed with glaze on the pop outs and trim.




Harvest sign painted Heirloom White and various letters and accents glazed,
mini orange pumpkins painted Heirloom White.


And here's a look at how it all came together in decorating our dining room area for fall!

Before:






After:



Funny that the tablecloth looks aqua! It's really about the same color as the walls!

One thing I love about the details here, is a lot of them have meaning-things that were already there or that are newly placed!




  • The framed pictures are all pictures I took in NC- mostly Wilmington/Wrightsville beach area. One of my favorite places in the world!

  • The shelf was made by my grandfather who passed away many years ago.

  • The Joy sign was made by my sis-in-law and was our Christmas present last year from her and my bro.

  • The pillar candles and starfish are from our wedding.

  • The trifle bowl (with pinecones and real white pumpkin), china, and almost everything in the china hutch are wedding presents.

  • The candle on the hutch behind the candy bowls is an antique find that is a replica of a candle holder at the restaurant from our hotel on our honeymoon in Costa Rica.

  • The high chair shows off that we have a new addition in the family! Hehe!

  • The acorns are memories from Baby Girl's first hike last week.

  • The pumpkins are from Baby Girl's first trip to the pumpkin farm!


Here's some closer pics to show you those details! You can also click on any of the pics above for a better view!




 



 

 







 

 


The other touches I added were the jute around the blue pillar candles, the scrapbook paper and/or ribbon around the candles, the vase of wheat, and wheat stalk stuck in the napkin rings.  Basically the only things that I bought were the pumpkins and gourds (the gourds I got free at the grocery store since I had coupons that "made" me money!), the spray paint, and the glaze, but those were really bought for another project I'll show soon! My mom bought me the wheat at Publix, and it was only $2.99. I "shopped" my house for the ribbon, candles, scrapbook paper, and all the stuff I spray painted I've had for awhile.


This is definitely the happiest I've ever been with my fall decor! I am so happy that I discovered it is actually OK to not decorate in traditional fall colors! :)


I'm sharing my post at these parties! Visit the links below for more great fall decor ideas!





2 comments:

  1. Stacey -- first, thank you so much for stopping by my blog, Simcoe Street, and giving such sweet feedback - totally made my day. Second, I absolutely LOVE what you've been doing and can't wait to read more. The heirloom white came out fantastic, and I LOVE your little gourds atop white candlesticks -- I'm going to have to try that!!!
    I cannot wait to see your tablesettings with your wedding china! I'll be following but just in case I miss it be sure to let me know ok?
    I will have lots of pics of tablesettings (another different look today with the same pumpkins) so I hope you'll come back if you have some time.
    Thanks again for visiting and so glad to have found your blog!
    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS> Try the spray paint on your dishsoap! Or, just go the lazy way and buy a little oil bottle like mine :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!!! I'd really love your comments!! Thanks for visiting me!!