Sunday, March 30, 2008

The great registry debate!

or or neither??

So, Ray and I are full-on into registry mode! I didn't realize so many people would be asking about it so soon, so we are getting at it as fast as we can! We're already totally set on Bed, Bath & Beyond and getting everything we can there! So far we've nailed down our bedroom linens, bathroom stuff, china, and lots of kitchen gadgets. We haven't chosen lots of decorative stuff, or any basic kitchen theme stuff- pot holders, dish towels, everyday dishes, etc. I wasn't crazy about any of what they have, so I thought we'd do Target. However, in talking to several recent brides, I've hardly heard one good thing about their return policies and their registry updates! In the store they even tell you it takes up to 3 hrs for it to update online. Every thing at BB&B is real time updates, they have NO problems with exchanges even without receipts, and they even give cash for returned items. I've heard nothing but good about that store!

I have had hassles in the past with returning stuff at Target. They only allow you two returns a year without a receipt- even when you are just getting store credit! And I tend to get lots of gifts from there! I looooooove the store! I've mentioned lots of good stuff I've found there on my blog already! But I do hate their return policy! I've been stuck with two pairs of the same shoes from Kerri's wedding, well since last summer!! They still have them, still regular price and they've never been worn and I can't return them!! Keep meaning to get Ray to do it for me, but until then, they sit in my trunk!

I know that Walmart is getting tougher on returns, but I'm just wondering about their wedding gift return policy and how good their registry is. I did think it was kinda ghetto to register at Walmart, but hey-that's where I do a lot of my shopping on a regular basis. They are getting much cuter stuff in the home sections, and some of the stuff I actually like better than Target! And I've heard lots of people say lately that they WISH they'd registered at Walmart- at least just to get the gift cards!

So, what's a girl to do?! I do have several things on my Target registry, but the only thing I just can't do without from there are these picture frames....

 

 (plus a few more!)

which go oooooh so well with our Nautica bedspread we picked out (Ray's favorite thing of ALL! He loves Nautica like I love Roxy!)


(believe me, I will totally girlie this up!! :o) )

Do I stick with Target? Or drop it for Walmart? I'd like to give people more choices than just BB&B, and I'm not too fond of registering at any department stores, which I never shop at otherwise!

Help!!

5 comments:

  1. I'd say "neither". You want the flexibility of some of the modern registries like http://www.wishpot.com.

    Ok..I may be biased, but we're using it for our registries. We can add things we like from any website or small online stores. We have all the basic stuff...so we're looking at some of the more interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. daisysfavoritethingsMarch 31, 2008 at 4:12 PM

    Great idea....would love to do it, but I'm afraid that I won't get stuff from non-tech savvy guests and those that just aren't familiar with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will chime in with my two cents. I did BB&B, Target and Macy's (some older guests really favor a department store - so keep that in mind - it's about what is convenient for your guests!). For me it was a toss up between Target and BB&B for the favorite. BB&B was awesome for returns, they will literally let you bring a cart full of stuff and still smile! I never had a bad experience with Target. I was able to return whatever I wanted - as long as it was on my registry (hint: if it's not on the registry register for it, then return it - that was a helpful hint from a very nice employee). I have had several friends say the same about Target - they were scared b/c of all the negativity - but we very pleased in the end. The main complaint I have heard is items being discontinued - my advice would be do not register for the decorative stuff that comes and goes (you frequent Target enough to know those sections) right away - wait until 6 weeks before your wedding (or 3 weeks before a major shower) -that stuff usually has a 6-8 shelf life, which is why people have problems. You should be fine otherwise!! I had to go with Target - BB&B doesn't have all the fun decorative stuff!!

    Good luck with your decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update and the wonderful post! I actually did the same thing - added the item to my registry and then returned it. That worked for the items that I could find in the store or online but not for the items that were harder to find, discontinued, no longer on sale. Looks like you've gotten some great input from your friends:) Cant wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] the Great Registry Debate I wrote about a couple weeks ago, I’ve finally come to a clear decision. I was trying to [...]

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!!! I'd really love your comments!! Thanks for visiting me!!